Driver carelessness is the biggest cause of death and serious injury on Northern Ireland’s roads and between 1998 and 2010 was responsible for 45% of deaths and serious injuries on our roads.
One lapse can be caused by anything
Some of the most common distractions for drivers include:
- day dreaming
- looking at scenery, new building sites, shop windows
- male drivers looking at female pedestrians
- texting, changing the music, talking or just thinking
One lapse can ruin your life forever
If you kill someone by driving carelessly you can go to prison for up to 5 years, be disqualified from driving and get a criminal record for life!
Cause Death and Grievous Bodily Injury by Dangerous Driving and you face a maximum of 14 years in prison and at least 2 years’ disqualification from driving.
As a driver you are personally responsible for every decision, every lapse and every risk you take.
Top tips to avoid careless driving:
- Read, learn and follow all the rules of The Highway Code for Northern Ireland
- Never allow yourself to be distracted when driving
- Never take risks when driving
- Never text or talk on a mobile phone when driving. Even hands-free phones are distracting and can significantly increase your risk of crashing. The Highway Code says: Before setting off on a journey make sure you have switched off your mobile phone. Remember – no call or text is more important than a life!
Share this page with all your friends and family whether they are drivers, pedestrians, cyclists or motorcyclists. Do it today because every road death is one too many.
SHARE THE ROAD TO ZERO.