Danger is everywhere on our roads.
If you don’t look for it, it will almost certainly find you. So don’t just glance at your car mirrors – you could miss out on vital information that could prevent a crash, such as a vehicle overtaking you, a cyclist moving up the inside or a pedestrian crossing the road behind you.
The Highway Code for NI says:
Before moving off you should:
- Use all mirrors to check the road is clear.
- Look round to check the blind spots (the areas you are unable to see in the mirrors).
Plus all mirrors should be used effectively throughout your journey.
- Use your mirrors frequently so that you always know what is behind and to each side of you.
- Use them in good time before you signal or change direction or speed.
- Be aware that mirrors do not cover all areas and that there will be blindspots. You will need to look round and check.
Make MIRRORS-SIGNAL-MANOEUVRE part of your daily routine no matter how long you have been driving or how experienced you think you are – it will reflect on your driving.
Share this page with all your friends and family. Do it today because every road death is one too many.
SHARE THE ROAD TO ZERO.