It’s a scientific fact – any alcohol impairs driving and increases your risk of crashing.
- At under 1/3 of the legal limit your attention is impaired. You start to focus more on steering and miss out on other dangers, like the child about to cross the road. Your alertness is impaired – the danger of sleepiness increases.
- At under 1/2 of the legal limit you are less vigilant and your perception is starting to show impairment.
- By 3/4 of the legal limit your perception, vision and tracking ability are impaired, including your ability to steer within your own lane.
- By 4/5 of the legal limit your ability to think, react and make choices are all impaired.
The combined effect of all these impairments is that your ability to judge distances is reduced, you are much slower at reading the road, you take too long to make vital decisions at the wheel, and your judgement is impaired – making you take more risks.
Just one drink can have shameful consequences.
If you are convicted of drinking and driving you will be disqualified from driving for at least 1 year, be fined up to £5,000 and have to retake your driving test. Cause death or grievous injury by drink driving and you could face up to 14 years in prison – and a lifetime of shame.
NEVER EVER DRINK AND DRIVE
To say safe:
- Choose a designated driver
- Order a legal taxi
- Use public transport
- Refuse to drink and drive
Share this page will all your friends and family and make sure they NEVER EVER DRINK AND DRIVE.