Understanding and obeying traffic signs will not only help you avoid crashing, but it is also the law. Rule 69 of The Highway Code says, “You MUST obey all traffic signs and traffic light signals.”
So here is a really helpful tip to help you understand what a sign means when you are out on the road even if you can’t remember it or perhaps you haven’t seen it before or you can’t see the sign clearly due to the weather.
[TIP] REMEMBER WHAT THE SHAPES MEAN
Traffic signs are the shape they are to communicate a specific category of messages:
- Warning signs are mostly triangular.
- Advisory signs are mostly rectangular.
- Signs with red circles are prohibitive and you MUST do what they say.
- Signs with blue circles but no red border mostly give positive instruction.
- The red, octagonal STOP signs means you MUST stop at the stop line.
HERE ARE SOME EXAMPLES
Share this page with all your family and friends.
SHARE THE ROAD TO ZERO.
First published 13 August 2015
Edited 10 November 2017